Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sunday Coffee, Socks, and Peru

January is a spartan month. I often look forward to January during the chaos and overindulgence of December. It seems regulated, routine, sensible. The seed catalogs arrive, and I begin to think about my garden. After receiving so many wonderful Christmas presents, I'm not afraid to declutter -- over-abundance is a given. January is secure.

This morning though, January looked bleak. School starts for my husband next week. I've fully absorbed how ridiculously optimistic my goals at work are. My stack of reading (usually a pleasure) now looks daunting. Despite a partially knitted Monkey Sock (in off-white panda cotton), I wanted to go back to bed. When overwhelmed, I'm a big believer in hiding under a nice wool blanket.

Fortunately, Starbucks makes a lovely white mocha drink. It brings cheer, optimism, and happy tummy. Someone once told me that this particular drink contains one hundred million calories. Surely it is an exaggeration. The husband and I were contemplating a dreary morning when he mentioned the 'bucks, and life seemed so much better. I'm particularly intrigued by the message printed on my cup.

The Way I See It #288:
My cousin in Tibet is an illiterate subsistence farmer. By accident of birth, I was raised in the West and have a Ph.D. The task of our generation is to cut through the illusion that was inhabit separate worlds. Only then will we find the heart to rise to the daunting but urgent challenges of global disparity.
--Losang Rabgey, Ph.D.
National Geographic Emerging Explorer and co-founder of Machik, a nonprofit helping communities on the Tibetan plateau.

It echoes an intriguing blog entry I read yesterday at Abby's Yarns. For me, it is reason 976 to go to Peru. And, reason to hope.

No comments: