Monday, January 21, 2008

Beans and Technology

My jewelry box holds two treasures that are just waiting for spring to arrive so they can be planted. One is the bean that my husband’s family brought with them when they emigrated from Switzerland to Russia to North Dakota and, finally, to Kansas. No one knows exactly what sort of bean it is – only that the seeds are saved, treasured and planted again in the spring. The beans that are saved for food are harvested before the seeds are mature. The pods are laid out on newspapers to dry, and later in the winter, usually for a holiday meal, the beans are boiled in water with chunks of ham. The result is an earthy, rich stew.


These beans are a love-it or hate-it affair. One of my husband’s brothers detests them. He christened them “dirty sock beans” and the name stuck. He’s passed it along to our nephew, who for his fourth Christmas ever, rolled on the floor and made gagging noises when it was suggested that he actually try the dirty sock bean. Um, thanks a bunch, Uncle Jeremy.



The other beans are called Emperor Runner beans. They are black with magenta spots. My sister saved them from her plants this summer, and she reports that the flowers are orange and red. Hummingbirds find them irresistible.



In other news, the kitchen light fixture may once again produce light. Our house has interesting quirks such as a mysterious orange cord that disappears above the garage roof and appears to power the garage door opener. It works. I don’t ask questions.



The kitchen light, however, no longer produces light. Flipping the switch produces a buzzing sound, the breaker blows, and then I have to go downstairs in the dark and reset the breaker. At first I tolerated it, but a co-worker gave me a lecture on fire hazards. I’m a great big chicken about catching on fire. If I even imagine something could cause a fire, I cannot rest until it has been fixed. An electrician will arrive at any minute on a white horse and he will deliver light to the kitchen and all will be well with the world. I hope he hurries.
I know you all were worried about our girl Miss Kate Middleton. Her plans with the prince are uncertain, but she may study with a New York photographer this spring. A gal needs a career to fall back on these days.

1 comment:

Princessliak said...

What beautiful magic beans you have!