Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Electrons and neutrons and protons! Oh my!

The wonderful electrician discovered more problems with our wiring that even I had feared. While he was attaching new wires for a light fixture to the wiring, a light in an entirely different room popped and went dark. We were both astonished since he'd powered off the light fixture he was using and the breaker. This problem lead deep into the attic under six inches of insulation and up there to where the extension cord attached to the garage door opener leads. (I never should have mentioned that cord in the last post; it has jinxed everything.)

Closer inspection of the light fixture that went "pop" revealed that all of the light bulbs had broken. He had to use pliers to remove the metal threads. That brave man is going to return to our house over the course of the next few days and replace the wiring over the kitchen, the dining room, and of course, the garage. I feel so lucky.

Who knows what craziness might have happened if those light bulbs broke and I was home alone? I might have gone right out and made a contract on a new home -- one that isn't broken. One that doesn't have dirty dishes. Soon though, all will be well, and I won't even need to move.

Kate Middleton is losing her charm for me. My new obsession is the proper use of i.e. and e.g.

3 comments:

Lara said...

I know a cute house with great wiring that's for sale for a steal. ;)

Happy wiring. The joys of home ownership.

twist said...

I love reading your blog.

I am going to suggest recommend Grammar Girl's podcast (www.qdnow.com). It's where I learned about the difference between i.e. & e.g.

twist said...

suggest recommend? Whatever. You know what I mean.