Sunday, June 1, 2008

Starting Over

I haven't been posting too much lately. Work has been very hectic. Hopefully this won't jinx anything -- I think that the busy times will be over by the end of this week. Fortunately, my manager is wonderful, and he understood when I needed an afternoon off to do laundry. He even thought it was funny when I said I didn't want to have to call in to work because I was naked. (Yeah, I'm still kicking myself for saying that one outloud. Some day, I'm going master the art of self-censoring.)

As of Thursday, I'm officially single. I brought in Saturday's mail and read the decree again while I ate my cereal. I'm sad, but I'm sad for had been in years past and what might have been in the future. I'm not sad for ending the marriage that we had. The guy actually left, and after remembering our relationship over the last year, I realize he'd been gone long before he packed his things and left. As one of my friends reminds me, "Marriage is a choice you make everyday. He quit making that choice." I'm left with an empty feeling and lots of missing trust. Thank goodness for friends. I've got wonderful friends in abundance, and I'm very grateful for them.


I made my first major purchase as a single woman yesterday: an Electra Townie. I plan to ride it everywhere within a five-mile radius of home. Why five miles? Because I know I'll be able to make it back home. I hope that I'll be able to go further than that by the end of the summer. In the meantime, I'm looking for the right kind of bags to attach to the rack in the rear and a basket for the front. If this is my transportation, I'll need to be able to haul things.





6 comments:

Princessliak said...

Your bike is beautiful! Now it just needs a name - bikes like to have names.

Rhonda said...

Nice bike!

We'll have to go exploring on bikes sometime!

I'm glad things are looking up. I haven't seen or talked to you in a while and was worried about you.

Did you know Shelly is putting together a Twist walking group?

Lara said...

Oh, my! I love your bike!

Yes, marriage is a choice. EVERY DAY. And you can only control what you do with what you are given. I think you're amazing.

Knit and Fit said...

Yes, bikes do need a name. Hmmmm... Granny Smith (like the apple) or Kelly ( like kelly green)

MHellon said...

That is a cool bike! I love the color! I'm now motivated to get my bike fixed.

J. Denae said...

LOVE the bike!! And you are so much stronger without him.
Love you!