Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Garden Report

The strawberries are ripening now. As with most things, it hasn't been what I anticipated. My vision included me gathering strawberries and doing something with them once a week. Reality looks like this: six or seven strawberries ripen each day. They are not good the next day, and they are not good after being refrigerated. The solution is that I go out to the garden each day and pluck the berries and eat them right there. I put the leaves in the compost heap on my way back inside. 

The weeds are doing well too, but when I sit on the back porch, I close my eyes and I can smell the iris, the honeysuckle and the peonies. This is a fragrant season -- maybe a little sneezy--and definitely sweet-smelling. 

The knitting isn't completely forgotten. Each week, I knit a repeat or two of Knitty's Branching Out scarf. The yarn is a soft, heathered blue. Alpaca. I like to knit slowly and stretch out the finished knitting to marvel at how a person could imagine a pattern, write it down and have it emerge from another person's needles. Maybe I'm just sentimental and mellow from spending time in the garden and the sun. 

No comments: